The “Master of Tourism and Hospitality Management" programme at CUST is designed to provide high quality education in theoretical and practical knowledge and skills in various aspects of tourism and hospitality management for those who wish to pursue or further advance their careers in this booming industry. The programme primarily aims to develop student knowledge in the areas of business of tourism management and hospitality management with a view to ethical professional empowerment.
The objectives of this programme are as follows:
- To prepare well-rounded graduates for employment in the booming hospitality, tourism and hotel management positions nationally and internationally.
- Strengthening students’ knowledge of general management in hotel and tourism areas, nurturing and providing various opportunities to sharpen their creative thinking, problem-solving techniques, and other generic skills.
- Developing students’ sound professional knowledge in various disciplines of management studies and managerial thinking, which are deemed necessary for their intellectual and social well-being and, more importantly, for excelling in a supervisory position in tourism and hospitality operational areas.
- To develop dedicated professionals with qualifications that are recognized and highly regarded nationally and internationally.
- To develop an employment environment that promotes a collegial search for excellence and a rewarding experience.
The objectives of this programme are as follows:
- Demonstrate knowledge and application of technology, as well as oral and written communication competencies needed to function in professional and other settings in the field of ‘Tourism and Hospitality Management.’
- Assess, develop and apply requisite competencies of Tourism and Hospitality Management, to include accounting and finance, cost controls, event planning and management, food production and restaurant operations, sanitation and safety practices, travel and tourism planning and management.
- Analyze, evaluate and solve managerial problems that utilize quantitative reasoning concepts, critical thinking in all sectors of the tourism and hospitality industry in a global, cultural and diverse society.
- Evaluate leadership and ethical decision-making competencies based on standards set by the industry.
- Gather data and assess results, employ problem-solving techniques, and use information literacy concepts related to Tourism and Hospitality Management.
The major fields where graduates of “Master of Tourism and Hospitality Management” programme of CUST can be employed are as follows:
- Accommodation manager of resort, motel, hotel and related industries
- Customer service manager, catering manager etc
- Event organizer
- Fast food restaurant manager
- Human resources officer
- Tour manager or tour operator as an entrepreneur
The “Master of Tourism and Hospitality Management” programme of CUST has a curriculum that fusions all major basic and contemporary issues of the fastest growing industry of ‘Tourism and Hospitality Management.’ This programme amply covers the untapped tourism resources of Bangladesh and offers various innovative solutions to flourish this industry in Bangladesh. The programme also blends world-class art of hospitality and the age-old unique hospitality heritage of Bangladesh. This programme holds that the warmth of hospitality can better be learnt even from the honest welcoming of the peasants of remote country-sides. Thus this programme has some distinctive features that would be appreciated by all stakeholders of CUST. The very uniqueness of “Master of Tourism and Hospitality Management” programme at CUST is its long industrial (Development Organization) attachment for as high as 06 credits (equivalent to 2 courses) where students come to know the relevance of “what we teach” and “what is being practiced in the field”. Besides, students undergo frequent field visits to see for themselves various aspects of Tourism and Hospitality Management. Importantly, they are given regular exposure to maintain their own dormitory and restaurant. Such attachment thus serves as an important feedback mechanism for CUST to know the existing gap and to bring out desirable changes in its course contents, if needed. Importantly, during the industrial attachment, the competent resource personnel of the concerned industry/development organization would serve as guest faculties of CUST and the assessment for those credits will essentially be done by them. Besides, as an employer you will have the opportunity to know the potential of a student before they are actually employed in your firm. It may be mentioned here that at CUST all lecturers and staff are passionate about the future of their respective industries and the students whose minds they shape and groom. Here efforts are always on to maintain the integrity of our courses and graduates by continuously shaping and updating the syllabus around industry needs and trends.